About Kangra Fort
Kangra Fort is located in the south-west of the old Kangra city of the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh. It is situated at a distance of 3-4 kilometers from the city of Kangra, this historic fort is built on a straight and narrow hill between the rivers BBan Ganga and Manjhi rivers.
This Kngra fort is also known as Nagarkot or Coat Kangra. This city was the capital city of the Thirteenth Land of King Bhumiband, ancestor of the genealogy of 500 kings in ancient times.
In addition to the Katoch rulers on this Kangra Fort, many rulers like Turks, Mughals, Sikhs, Gorkhas and the British ruled here. This fort is one of the oldest forts in the world.
It is the Himalaya’s largest fort and the oldest fort in India. A large number of people arrive here to see the glimpse of history and to see Himachal’s beauty.
To see the glorious history of this fort and the beautiful convicts of Himachal, millions of tourists come from India and abroad.
Quick Info about Kangra Fort
|Location||Kangra, Himachal Pradesh(India)|
|Built||1500 Century, AD|
|Constructed by||Sushra Chandra Fort Fort|
History of Kangra Fort: (Kangra Fort History in Hindi)
This historic Kangra Fort is also mentioned in the Mahabharata, as well as when the great Greek ruler Alexander invaded here, this fort was also present here that time.
The earliest written evidence of this fort meets Mahmud Ghajnby in the year 1009. Later in the year 1043, the Tomar rulers of Delhi had handed over Kangra Fort fort to the Katoch rulers. In 1337, Muhammad Tughlaq and later in 1351, Firoz Shah Tughlaq established his empire.
In 1556, Akbar took over Delhi and this fort came to the king Dharmachand. Raja Dharmachand passed away in 1563, after thar his son Manikya Chand became the ruler. In 1620, the Mughal emperor Jehangir conquered this fort with the help of his governors.
After 2 years of this victory, Jahangir came in Kangra Fort in January 1622. He built a Jahangiri Darwah and a mosque in his name in the fort, which is still present here. After this all efforts to snatch the fort failed and the fort remained in the possession of the Mughal army for a long time.
Jai Singh Kanhaiya, the Sikh sovereign of Batala, took the Kangra Fort from Mughal army in 1783, which, instead of the meadows, the fort was handed over to the then Katoch Raja Samsar Chand (1765-1823). Thus, after the centuries of sacrifice, the Hindu Kangra king again came back to the fort.
Under the leadership of Amar Singh Thapa of Nepal, the Gorkha army siege this fort for about four years. According to the treaty on the assurance of assistance against the Gorkhas, the Kangra Fort was handed over to Maharaja Ranjit Singh in the year 1809. By 1846, the Sikh community was ruled by this fort, after which the fort came under British rule.
Interesting facts about Kangra Fort:
- This magnificent Kangra Fort is situated at an altitude of 350 feet from the sea level and spreads in the area of about 4 kilometers.
- Distance from Kangra to Dharmashala city is only 20 kms.
- In ancient times, this fort was very famous for wealth, so Mohammed Ghazni reached Kangra in 1009 AD after winning Punjab during his fourth campaign in India.
- There is a small verandah to go inside this fort, which is between the two gates. According to the inscription made at the entrance of the Kangra Fort, these two gates were built during the Sikh reign.
- The fortification of the fort is 4 kilometer long, the main gate of Arhbar is named after Maharaja Ranjit Singh, which was built during the reign of Maharaja Ranjit Singh. But it is said that Jahangir had broken the old door and made the door again, so it is called Jahangiri door.
- There is a door facing it, on which there are statues of Ganga and Yamuna on both sides. It is the entrance to the inner part of the fort.
- From this Kangra Fort you can also see the scenic hills of Dhauladhar, which also places four moons in the beautiful beauty of the fort.
- The main gate of the fort is the security gate, which was called the Dark Gate.
- On the summit of the hill near the old Kangra is a temple of Jayanti Mama. This temple was constructed by Sarnapati of Gorkha Army, Big Kaji Amar Singh Thapa.
- In the eastern part of the Kangra Fort, there is a barrage of the mosque, mosque, hangman, dry pond, Kapoor pond, Baradari, Shiva temple and many wells.
- Visitors can visit the Watch Tower, Brajeshwari Temple, Laxmi Narayan Mandir and Adinath Temple inside the Salani Fort.
- The oldest remains of this fort which is in the form of Hindu and Jain temples established in the 9th-10th century.
- During the British rule, due to the severe earthquake in Kangra on April 04, 1905, this fort was badly damaged. After which the fort was again handed over to the Katoch dynasty.
- From the point of view of tourism, this fort is preserved and maintained by Royal Family of Kangra, Archaeological Survey of India and Himachal Government at present time.
- In the year 2002, the Royal Family of Kangra was also established in the Kangra Fort, Maharaja Sansar Chand Museum, in which the rulers of Katoch dynasty and war materials, utensils, silver coins, Kangra paintings, records, weapons used in that time. And other items of that time are kept.